Get the professional edge
Reward your achievements and experience in the people profession with Chartered Membership. It’s a visible sign of your ability to lead strategic thinking, drive change and create value for your organisation.
Whether you’re looking to move up, move on, or set up on your own, your CIPD designation opens the door to new opportunities in the people profession, and it inspires confidence in employers and clients and is an asset for your future career.
At Chartered Member grade you’re using your expertise and knowledge to make informed decisions and to influence others, and you’re delivering positive change through people solutions.
This grade could be for you if…
- you have experience working at Chartered Member level for a minimum of one year within the last five years
- you are an experienced people professional who is working operationally while thinking strategically
- you deliver people solutions that drive change within organisations and/or the profession
- you’ll lead the thinking in your area of people practice, using in-depth knowledge of your organisation to inform people strategy
- you’ll be aware of the wider impact of your work on other people approaches in your organisation, and its impact on business practices and goals
- you’ll influence and collaborate with a wide range of people including your immediate colleagues, other people professionals and stakeholders across your organisation
- you can provide insight and perspective on relevant business trends outside the organisation, and in the people profession as a whole
- you’ll evaluate, question and assess information from a range of sources to make evidence-based judgements and decisions
When you’re a Chartered Member, you can use the designation Chartered MCIPD after your name.
The Chartered Member grade is aligned with the corresponding level in the Profession Map. If you are interested in becoming a Chartered Member via Experience Assessment or Upgrading, use the membership standards to determine if this is the right membership grade for you.
What people say about being a Chartered Member
I chose to upgrade as it gives my clients a level of confidence in my experience and ability to deliver their needs. Having the Chartered Member status indicates that I can work with businesses to enhance and deliver against their goals.
Claire St Louis Westland
MCIPD, Chartered Member
I gained HR knowledge through on-the-job training so I decided to embark on the Experience Assessment programme to benchmark my HR knowledge against recognised standards. It gave me assurances that there was rigor in the membership qualification process.
Min Yi Chow
Chartered MCIPD, Deputy Head of HR, Asia Pac - Aberdeen Asset Management
What's in it for you?
Becoming a member means immediate access to a range of benefits. Look at some of our most popular benefits below, or go to our member benefits page to see the full range.
- Research, surveys and policy reports
- 100s of online business, HR and L&D journals supplied by EBSCO
- Time-saving email updates, including In a Nutshell and a weekly HR news bulletin
- Practical podcasts, topic summaries, factsheets and guides, and more.
CIPD Learning Hub
The CIPD Learning Hub is an online learning platform that supports the delivery of world-class, cutting-edge learning that is available anytime, anywhere and on any device.
It makes it easier than ever for you to make professional development a day-to-day, career-long priority to increase the impact and effectiveness you have in your role. Self-assessment, learning plan and learning reflection tools are built into the hub, helping you to maintain your level of expertise and embed it into your practice.
Connect, learn and be inspired
- Online Community forum - Socialise, discuss and learn from an interested and supportive community of professionals.
- Join CIPD networks.
- Find inspiration at CIPD conferences and events.
- CIPD Profession Map - assess your capability and access recommendations on what you need to know and do at every stage of your career.
- My CPD Map - an online assessment tool to identify your strengths and areas for development
- CIPD Career hub - an online gateway to a host of information, tools and advice to help you be successful in your job search
How to become a Chartered Member
There are two ways:
What’s the best route for you?
If you were previously in membership, find out how to come back to ensure your expertise is professionally recognised and trusted.
Chartered Member fees
The total cost of membership is dependent on whether you are becoming a member for the first time, renewing your membership, re-joining, or upgrading to a different grade of membership or coming into membership via the Experience Assessment route.
Chartered Member fee for up to 12 months* (from 1 July 2022 to 30 June 2023): £195.
You can pay by card or through direct debit instalments, and you’ll need to renew your membership annually on 1 July. We’ll send you renewal information well before the due date to remind you how much is due.
Fees for our routes to becoming a Chartered Member:
|Experience Assessment route||Fee (1 Jan 2023 - 30 June 2023)||Fee (1 Jan 2023 - 30 June 2024)|
|One-off assessment fee||£2,045||£2,045|
|Chartered Member fee*||£98||£293|
The assessment fee is non-refundable.
|Study a qualification route||Fee (1 Jan 2023 - 30 June 2023)||Fee (1 Jan 2023 - 30 June 2024)|
|Qualification fee||Set by individual study centres||Set by individual study centres|
|Student Member fee*||£50||£149|
|Upgrade from Associate to Chartered Member||£60-£120||£60-£120|
|Total||Qualification fee and £150-£210||Qualification fee and £249-£309|
Once you finish your qualification, you’ll start paying the Foundation/Associate Member fee at your next renewal on 1 July. You may be able to upgrade to Chartered Member, depending on your experience and qualification.
If you’ve already finished a CIPD accredited qualification, call us +44 (0)20 8612 6208 to find out whether you can become an Associate Member.
|6-month Chartered Member fee*||£98|
|18-month Chartered Member fee*||£293|
Not sure if Chartered Member grade is right for you?
For people professionals whose work is operational with some complexity: you’re beginning to contribute your thinking to people issues and solutions
For people professionals who combine strategic insight and people expertise with commercial acumen, to change the way organisations think about their people
You may also be interested in
- Membership terms and conditions
- Our membership agreement with AHRI - the Australian Human Resources Institute
- Our membership agreement with IHRP - the Institute for Human Resource Professionals
- All Chartered Members need to be committed to their Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and comply with our Code of Professional Conduct